Monday, April 27, 2009

What I really need

I found this reading to be very powerful. Sometimes when I am moving so fast, trying to text on my phone, using a computer, or doing something else connected to technology I feel like I am not thinking. I realized this morning after leaving my boyfriend apartment that I had left the most important thing there, my mp3 player. Here I am trying to get in shape and I don't have my mp3 player to distract me from the calories that need to be burned and the physical progress that must be made. Instead of running without the player, I will push back everything I have to do today, and make time to hop on the 983 or 982 and get back to his place to grab my music. It's weird. At times I think I'm behind, and I read those articles and I think, "that's not me." I don't have an I Phone, or any of the products on the top ten must haves list. But when I think about how I rely on certain devices to function I realize it is me. If I don't have the internet for at least an hour or thirty minuets of the day I feel odd. The reality is things are changing in our lifetime. Technology has grown to be an important entity within society. While it is very important, it's all about balance. I agree that relationships need face to face interaction to stay stable. As much as I use the internet, I still don't talk to my friend over Facebook, IM, or e-mail. The only thing we rely on is the phone. I think that it depends on how into it you really are. At the end of the day, I know I could live without an mp3 player, but not without music. I know I could live without a cell phone but not without a constant way of communicating with people. These are just the devices that have been created to make the simplest human needs more tangible, with a little extra laziness mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment